Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Choosing the Style

I was never a big fan of the generic looking 3D computer animated movie.
I'm a huge fan of altering the norm, straying from the crowd, so I wanted my film to have a unique look to it. Here are some great inspirations for the set and finalized style of my film (note: these are from other films okay!)

The legendary Edward Gorey


The Wonderful Henry Selick




Dearest Mary Blair
(I kept heavy geometric shapes like this in my characters and environment.)



The Amazing Jamie Caliri
Originally I wanted my film to look like these, Cut Out Animation. Especially during a part in my Thesis when the Tailor comes out of the book. But due to some complications... I couldn't go through with it. Making this effect in MAYA is exceedingly simple though.


Yoriyos music video 'Pied Piper'. Again more inspiration for the cut out look. I'm hoping I can pay a small homage to the style somewhere in my Thesis.


And of course some Tim Burton in the Mix.

If I could, I'd put even more pictures in. But I don't blogger can handle it, haha! But you get the idea. As an extra note, my film is very contrasted. I have the Tailor and (instead of a little boy) a little girl. When we are with the little girl in the piece, everything is very desaturated, grey, and dull pastel colors. The world also looks very normal (the typical 3D environment). But when the tailor comes into the picture, everything turns bright, high constrasting colors, and very geometric landscape. Like a nightmare sequence you'd see in Disney's Fantasia.

Style is HIGHLY important when it comes to communicating things to your audience. Young animators and concept designers reading this out there, do pay attention, incorporate style in ALL of your pieces! :D It will make your film that much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment